Monday, August 07, 2006

 
Self-portrait.....

It's a little known fact outside the music business but aprox. 35% of scheduled writing appointments are either cancelled or no-shows. I took this with the built-in icam on my Macbook Pro this morning during one of the no-shows. I knew it would come in handy one day. Frustrating.


Anyway...Letting that Romans thing lie for the moment. Spent some quality time in our life group last night. We have been trying the past few meeting times to approach some authenticity within our group that I believe is essential to creating true community. I think we, in this fiercely independent culture, have a really hard time being truly honest with anyone outside of maybe our spouse. The problem with that is (in my opinion) is that we are called to community that requires that kind of honesty to really work.

I think we've done a poor job of this in our fellowship. As evidenced by the fact that, many times, when there is disagreement about worship, exergesis, doctrine, tradition, food, dress or just about anything else, instead of church people engaging in dialogue about it and agreeing to disagree, all the time knowing and affirming their longterm commitment to one another (like we do in our marriages), they (we) just split and go find another church or start our own church. Most of the time this damages individuals, churches and our witness of unity to the world.

I can tell my wife that I disagree with her and I don't like certain things and such...But at no time does she ever question my love and commitment to her. WE are in it for the long haul-Warts and all. That's how we should be in our community of faith. That's what we're called to (Eph. 4). We are seeking that kind of authenticity and honesty and love within our small group that will cultivate that kind of community. I think that's where it starts. Pray for us.:)

http://www.traceadkins.com/

"Dangerous Man" will be in stores next week.... I wrote the title cut with my boy Craig.

PeAce-
Bc

Comments:
That's probably the biggest thing that comes up over and in my mind whenever we're talking about what direction we're needing to go. That need to break down the walls that we build between each other and open ourselves up. That openness and sense of community is going to draw us closer together, keep us further from temptation, and allow us to better meet each other's needs.

We have so far to go.
 
I do
 
TMI. Save the authenticity for your small group, 'kay?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?